Dental implants are a long-lasting and safe tooth replacement solution. Nothing is more natural looking and feeling, and for the 49 percent of adult Americans who have suffered the loss of a tooth or undergone an extraction and have tried dentures and bridges with limited success, they are the answer to your prayers! They are secure, require no more maintenance than regular teeth and restore your ability to eat, speak and smile with confidence. No wonder dental implants in Fairfax are considered the most advanced tooth replacement system ever devised.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a prosthetic (artificial) tooth root that is surgically placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth. One of our dentists will insert the root and the restorative phase is completed at our office. It is a high-tech way to save a tooth and, unlike a bridge, does not rely on nearby teeth for support.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants in Fairfax, Vienna, or Burke, VA are best used for people who maintain good oral health in general, but who have lost a tooth due to periodontal disease or an injury. There must be enough bone in the jaw to support the implanted root, as well as healthy gums.
What are Dental Implants Used For?
- Replacing one or more teeth without affecting surrounding teeth
- Supporting a denture so that is it more secure and comfortable
- Supporting a bridge
- Eliminating the need for removable partial dentures
- Restoring the ability to speak, eat and smile with comfort and confidence
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- They are the most advanced tooth replacement system, and most last longer than 15 years.
- With the exception of your natural teeth, nothing looks or feels more natural than an implant.
- They slow the shrinking of bone and gum tissue from the area surrounding the missing tooth, which prevents premature aging.
- They don't sacrifice the quality of surrounding teeth
- They never develop decay, and they never require root canals.
- People of all ages can receive this treatment.
- They are secure and never jiggle or click like dentures do.
- They do not require adhesives or any special treatment. You brush, floss and get regular checkups just as you would with your natural teeth.
What is the Procedure?
The gum is gently folded back and a space is prepared for the implant to be placed.
The dental implant "anchor" is put into place.
A temporary cap is placed on the implant and the gum tissue is repositioned around the implant. The implant is left alone for several months so the bone can attach to the implant and create a secure anchor.
RESTORATIVE PHASE (IN OUR OFFICE)
After the implant has had a chance to attach to the bone tissue, the temporary cap is removed from the anchor and a post is attached to the anchor.
The implant is now ready for a prosthesis. An impression is taken of the implant and the appropriate prosthesis (crown, bridge or overdenture) is made.
The prosthesis is then attached to the implant(s).
Considering a Dental Implant in Fairfax, VA?
If you are thinking about getting a dental implant in Fairfax, Vienna, or Burke, VA, contact us for an evaluation appointment. We will examine you to determine whether you are a good candidate for this procedure and will provide you with further information to help you decide.