Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom teeth often crowd other teeth, emerge at the wrong angle, or never fully erupt from the gums at all.
These issues can cause pain, infection, and damage to your other teeth.
Find out how Fairfax Family Dental Care in Fairfax, VA, performs wisdom tooth removal to ease pain and prevent oral health concerns.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
A Closer Look at Wisdom Teeth
Who Needs Wisdom Teeth Removal?
At Fairfax Family Dental Care, we generally recommend most young adult patients have their wisdom teeth removed as a preventative measure. Wisdom teeth removal and recovery are easier at a younger age, before the roots and bone have fully formed and the teeth are firmly anchored in place. Wisdom teeth are also removed in adults when they are either causing problems now, or are likely to in the future. During an exam, we will use advanced X-ray technology to easily determine whether you or your child could benefit from the procedure.
Why Choose Fairfax Family Dental Care?
Dr. Charles D. Kirksey, Dr. Milan Simanek, Dr. Touraj Kamali, and our office team are dedicated to providing state-of-the-art dentistry and superior care. At Fairfax Family Dental Care, our dentists have advanced training that allows us to provide specialized treatments that most dentists can't. We can perform any dental procedure, from impacted wisdom teeth extraction to dental implant placement.
While many dental offices need to refer patients to oral surgeons for complex procedures, we can take care of all your oral health needs under one roof. This ensures comprehensive care for you and your family, and avoids the hassle of visiting multiple providers for dental care.
At our Fairfax, VA, practice, we have been extracting wisdom teeth for over 30 years. If you're experiencing wisdom teeth issues or wanting to prevent these issues altogether, we are here to help. Don't wait for wisdom teeth to cause more problems. Contact us online or call:
"The Best Dentist I've Experienced in All My Years."
Always professional and caring staff, each time I go back the experience is better. Today was the best cleaning of my life!View On Google
Always have a great, smooth experience with Dr. Kamali and his team. They are friendly, respectful, caring and courteous of your time. The office is run very smoothly and efficiently. Dr. Kamali is the best dentist I've experienced in all my years (69yo). Definitely recommend.
What to Expect During Wisdom Teeth Removal
Day of Procedure
We can perform any dental procedure, from impacted wisdom teeth extraction to dental implant placement.
Recovery and Aftercare
Most patients need at least a few days off school or work after having their wisdom teeth removed. Your dentist can prescribe a pain medication to alleviate any discomfort and will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions. As you recover:
- Don't brush your teeth. rinse your mouth, or use mouthwash for the first 24 hours after surgery. After 24 hours, you may resume brushing your teeth (but be very gentle near the extraction sites). Use a saltwater rise every two hours and after meals.
- Facial swelling is common after wisdom teeth removal. You should apply cold packs to your cheeks and jaw to help keep swelling down.
- Stick to soft foods after surgery, like rice, pasta, or applesauce. Avoid hard, spicy, crunchy, or sticky foods that may irritate the extraction site.
- Dry socket can occur if blood clots at the extraction sites are dislodged, exposing the tissue and causing pain. To prevent dry socket, avoid foods or liquids that are overly hot, drinking through a straw, smoking, and drinking alcohol.
Call our Fairfax, VA, office if:
- Pain occurs at the extraction sites around day three or four after wisdom teeth removal
- You develop a fever
- You experience numbness
- You experience bleeding more than two days after surgery
"Would Highly Recommend to Anyone."
Great staff. Full of personality and very welcoming. They are very detailed in their work and would highly recommend to anyone.View On Google
I've been with this dental practice for years and I only have great things to say about them. The facility is great! The staff, hygienists, and dentists are all friendly and wonderful! I would recommend them to anyone in search of a new dental office.View On Google